Reports to: Director of Operations
Status: Full-time, non-exempt
Oversees all safety, security aspects of the museum campus and of the collection. Includes the Homestead and Olson House, as well as loaned and/or temporary works in the Museum’s possession and care in collaboration with Chief Curator and Registrar. Hires, trains, and supervises all security personnel and implements safety and security procedures for all staff, volunteers and visitors.
- Update, implement, and maintain written Standard Operating Procedures manual for security department as needed and assuring compliance
- Responsible for opening and closing museum properties
- Provide and periodically update training of all security staff
- Monitor all security systems and equipment, responding to, resolving and properly documenting all alarm circumstances. Informs appropriate staff in a timely manner ∙ Plan and carry-out seasonal maintenance program to ensure proper care and functioning of museum campus and related equipment
- Serves as a member of the Emergency Response Team
- Monitors behavior of security staff interactions with staff, visitors and volunteers while ensuring an excellent visitor experience
- Coordinate standard levels of coverage for all galleries and property throughout the business day and during other special museum events
- Working in partnership with the Director of Operations, the curatorial department and maintenance personnel, prepare for emergencies through risk management planning, coordinate safety training and supplies for all staff to include fire safety, fire extinguisher and evacuation procedures as well as first aid training
- Create and maintain documented opening and closing security procedures for all museum properties
- Ensure all cash transactions are deposited daily
- Work with Director of Operations to identify and develop a plan for maintenance, repair and general annual upkeep of security equipment
- Work with DO on annual budget development for security staffing
- Other duties as required
- Strong organizational, communication, and supervisory skills
- Ability to address day-to-day and long term responsibilities independently, convey professional, positive manner to co-workers and subordinates
- Attention to detail
- Ability to resolve issues and problems
- Flexibility and cooperativeness; supportive of colleagues in all areas of museum operations
- General knowledge of security practices and procedures
- Knowledge of OSHA and other environmental regulations
Knowledge of safety and security Three years’ experience in security work as a supervisor. A background in law enforcement, military or art museums preferred. Demonstrable skills in staff supervision and customer service.
Knowledge of safety and security practices and procedures.
Ability to address and resolve issues and situations which are potentially hazardous or which may cause loss to the Museum; prepare accurate reports based on observations; direct staff in accurate reporting; communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; deal effectively and courteously with associates and the general public; effectively welcome and embrace differences among employees and citizens; perform effectively as a member of a team in carrying out the Museum’s stated Mission and Core Values; present an overall professional image. Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion department wide.
Experience, Education, and Training
Typically requires a minimum of six months experience in security work, law enforcement, military or art museum experience or comparable environment
Performs bending, climbing, kneeling, reaching from ground level to overhead, pushing and pulling up to 40 pounds; may be subjected to long periods of standing or walking while performing foot patrol of the campus.
Primarily indoors with heating and cooling regulated. May be exposed to extreme weather conditions when patrolling Museum grounds or performing outside duties.
Frequently required to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends, as needed, depending on Art Museum exhibition schedules and other activities. Must successfully complete and pass a security background check.
Apply for the position here below: